HSA/A-1 Scuba Dive Buddy Course
Handicapped Scuba Association Dive Buddy Course in Denver
Thank you for your interest in our Handicapped Scuba Association Dive Buddy course! This three and a half day program is filled with fun, challenges and loaded with information. This course is a special certification for certified divers who wish to know and understand more about physical disabilities, how it relates to scuba diving and how to be a dive buddy for someone with special needs.
What You’ll Learn
During this course, you will gain knowledge and experience in how to safely and effectively assist and scuba dive with divers with disabilities. The training you receive will be like nothing else you have done before.
Day 1 - 6-10pm
We'll begin by meeting your fellow candidates and collect the various document (see below). Then we'll start digging into the many aspects of the HSA program. From there, we’ll head to the pool and begin our series of role-playing exercises as a dive buddy and as a person with a disability. You’ll love it!
Day 2 - 9am to 5pm
We continue in the classroom and dig further into the HSA Performance Standards and certification procedures of the HSA course. After that we’ll head back to the pool to resume skill training. You’re guaranteed to discover the meaning of trust, faith, belief, confidence, expectation, reliance and dependence.
Day 3 - 9am to 5pm
We'll wrap up the knowledge development portion of the course as well as the remaining pool exercises.
Day 4 - 7:30am to 3pm
Here’s your chance to put many of the techniques you learned in the pool to use in an Open Water environment at the Downtown Aquarium. Once again, you’ll be working in buddy teams and performing several of the skill learned in the swimming pool. As in the pool, you’ll be playing the role of a disabled diver and as a dive buddy.
Course Prerequisites, Forms and Performance Requirements
- Certified Open Water Scuba Diver, or above, by a recognized diver training agency
Please bring your certification card to the first class.
- Minimum age 15 years old
- Be fit for diving and complete a Medical Statement for diving stating that you are medically fit to dive. If you answer “yes” to any medical questions, you will need to see a physician and have them complete a standard scuba diving medical form stating that your are medically fit to dive. Please bring your completed PADI Medical Form (signed by a physician if necessary) to the first class.
- Complete the Course Registration and Liability Release
- Complete the Dive Buddy Course Application
- Complete the Inherent Hazards and Risks of Diving Activities
- Logged a minimum of 10 open water dives within 2 years prior to the starting date of the course. Please bring your log book to the first class.
- Logged a total minimum of 20 open water dives to complete the course.
- Successfully challenge HSA Air Sharing and Life Saving Skills or equivalent. You will be asked to demonstrate these skills the first day of class.
- Attend all classroom, confined and open water segments of the course
- Participate in all role-playing segments in the confined and open water
- Complete and pass the final exam (Note: this is an open-book exam and conducted as a group)
- Jan 25, 26, 27 & 28
Dive Buddy Course Fee
- All classroom instruction
- All confined water training
- HSA Dive Buddy Manual
- HSA Registration fee
- Use of tanks and weights
- Tanks and weights will be provided for the pool and Aquarium dives
- Pool and Open Water (Mask, fins, snorkel and Octopus Alternate Air Source)
- $125 Entry fee for open water training dives at the Denver Downtown Aquarium (includes the use of ALL equipment)
- Parking fee at the Downtown Aquarium
The key to your success is to come prepared, willing to learn new skills and information and a desire to have a great time. Here’s your chance to challenge yourself, sharpen your personal skills and introduce a special group of people to the wonderful sport of scuba diving. It’s sure to open your eyes and maybe even your heart.
Sign Up Now
Or call A-1 Scuba and Travel Center at 303-789-2450
TESTIMONIALS: READ WHAT OTHERS ARE SAYING
Where to begin…I cannot express to you my gratitude for facilitating the course that we went through this past weekend. The dedication and passion that you brought to this course was amazing beyond words…I attempted to explain to my wife and family what is was that I just experienced and became very emotional upon my reflection. One cannot understand the emotion and sense of pride of accomplishing this course unless they go through it and my heartfelt thank you to each of you. Even though we have just met, I feel a special bond with each of you and hope that may continue to grow!
At work, I am attempting to get things done but cannot keep from reflecting on the whole weekend and sharing my experience with my co-workers as best as I can explain…I cannot keep thinking about the trust we placed in each other in the course and hope that someday I may be able to instill that trust in others of me.
I look forward to seeing you both again soon and would love to continue this journey that has just begun…Thank you both!